JP Vossen on 2 Mar 2008 13:19:23 -0800

[PLUG] Domain registrar thoughts and Mediawiki

Last time this was asked was 2005
(http://lists.netisland.net/archives/plug/plug-2005-08/msg00294.html),
and 2001 before then, so I think it's about time.  I want to register a
few domain names.  I've been using http://www.dotearth.com/ and am
happy, but they are $25 for 2 years.  That'll add up for the 3-5 names I
want now.

I am (of course) aware of GoDaddy.com, and that was the recommendation
x3 in 2005, but they bug me, partly because I find their site really
noisy (though dotearth may be even worse).  They *are* a cheaper,
especially if I want to go for a 1 year for $9.99.  Any recommendations,
or should I just Get Over It and use GoDaddy?

I'm a bit wary of checking the names, given the recent domain name
tasting/front-running issues
(http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/01/08/1920215).

Finally, the new site will run Mediawiki, any experts out there for when
I have questions?  Any good resources?  The so-called docs on the
Mediawiki.org site and scattered and incoherent, to me at least.

Thanks,
JP
Microsoft has single-handedly nullified Moore's Law.
Innate design flaws of Windows make a personal firewall, anti-virus
and anti-malware software mandatory. The resulting software arms race
has effectively flattened Moore's Law on hardware running Windows.