JP Vossen on 3 Mar 2008 00:48:03 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Domain registrar thoughts and Mediawiki

Thanks to all who've replied thus far, I'm checking out your suggestions.

Dreamhost *looks* awesome, but also gets a lot of bad press (along with
a lot of good press).  I'm thinking about trying to host with them and
register with 1and1.  Comments?

I should mention I already installed a proof-of-concept site on Debian,
using the tarball since the version in the Etch repos is ancient.  It
was trivial but requires some shell operations like chown.  My install
question has to do with hosting sites where I don't have shell and/or
root access to the machine.

I also forgot to mention that in my personal opinion, getting hosting
and domain name registration from the same provider is just asking for
trouble, and I won't do that.  Talk about vendor lock-in!  With the
functions separated, I feel that the providers have both less ability
and less incentive to mess with you.

Thanks,
JP
Microsoft has single-handedly nullified Moore's Law.
Innate design flaws of Windows make a personal firewall, anti-virus
and anti-malware software mandatory. The resulting software arms race
has effectively flattened Moore's Law on hardware running Windows.