Robert Spangler on 3 Mar 2008 19:37:25 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Domain registrar thoughts and Mediawiki

On Sunday 02 March 2008 16:45, James Barrett wrote:

>  dig(1) will safely tell you if the domain name points somewhere,
>  although if someone has it registered but simply not pointing to
>  nameservers then it might not show up in dig output (someone correct me
>  if I'm wrong!).  This is a hell of a lot safer than a whois request if
>  you are worried about front-running.  All dig does is query your domain
>  name server to see if the domain points anywhere.

If I am not mistaking all register domains must be listed some where.  Thus if
you register a domain and do not provide the NS ip's it is pointed to the
park server of the registrar that you registered your domain with and should
show up in queries.

Whois queries are only good for finding out the contact information and not
every domain has this information available to the public.  A lot of
registrars will allow you to hide some, if not all, the information in this
DB.

--

Regards
Robert