Brian Vagnoni on 8 Mar 2008 11:46:36 -0800

[PLUG] Syslog Question

I was reading some of the RFC's, but they weren't totally clear.

Which had higher precedence. In other words what will supply the most verbose information:

0             kernel messages
1 user-level messages
2 mail system
3 system daemons
4 security/authorization messages (note 1)
5 messages generated internally by syslogd
6 line printer subsystem
7 network news subsystem
8 UUCP subsystem
9 clock daemon (note 2)
10 security/authorization messages (note 1)
11 FTP daemon
12 NTP subsystem
13 log audit (note 1)
14 log alert (note 1)
15 clock daemon (note 2)
16 local use 0 (local0)
17 local use 1 (local1)
18 local use 2 (local2)
19 local use 3 (local3)
20 local use 4 (local4)
21 local use 5 (local5)
22 local use 6 (local6)
23 local use 7 (local7)

Now I understand that debug have the most information but how does it apply to the facilities.

Numerical         Severity
Code

0 Emergency: system is unusable
1 Alert: action must be taken immediately
2 Critical: critical conditions
3 Error: error conditions
4 Warning: warning conditions
5 Notice: normal but significant condition
6 Informational: informational messages
7 Debug: debug-level messages

Sorry for the weird formatting cut and paste isn't always perfect,

Brian Vagnoni

PGP Digital Fingerprint

F076 6EEE 06E5 BEEF EBBD BD36 F29E 850D FC32 3955