Art Alexion on 17 Mar 2008 10:29:20 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Windows themes (ON-TOPIC, i promise)

On Monday 17 March 2008 10:22:39 schwepes@netaxs.com wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Mar 2008, Matthew Rosewarne wrote:
> > On Sunday 16 March 2008, brent timothy saner wrote:
> > > there was a gentleman who posted to the list about a month or so ago,
> > > saying up until now he had been using windows 95 or 98 (can't recall
> > > which) and was considering the move to GNU/Linux.
> >
> > There's a big downside to trying to mimic the look of another OS:  When
> > Linux behaves differently, it can come across as a flaw.  Having a
> > different appearance provides a sense that the user shouldn't expect
> > everything to behave as on some other OS.
>
> I would be much more interested in it successfully mimicing the
> functionality.
> The problem is integrating proprietary programs to run particular
> equipment such as Brother embrodery machines into Linux.  It would be
> nice if WINE did it all.
> I may have been the person talking.  I know that I asked about the issue
> earlier and later made a crack about migrating to Linux only when my
> 486 dropped dead.

Other than running in a vm, interoperability among proprietary win apps isn't
likely. In some ways, for security reasons, wine running apps intentionally
won't interact with native linux apps.

Here's some heresy: If your 486 (win95) machine does this well (for now) why
switch? You wanna do other stuff, put the other stuff on a different PC.