Marty O'Brien on 17 Mar 2008 10:53:50 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Hardy Heron

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 1:43 PM, Art Alexion <art.alexion@verizon.net> wrote:

Would you use Hardy — gnome or kde — in production (with a backup machine just
in case) or wait?  I would normally say "no" without hesitation except I put
Gutsy on a test machine at Tribe 3 and never used Feisty again.  If its that
good, I'll do it again.

Also, do the kubuntu-kde4-desktop and kubuntu-desktop meta-packages co-exist,
or is it one or the other?

Thanks for the insight.

I am upgrading to Hardy on my "play" machine as I type.

As far as kde4 and kde3 together, yes, they can co-exist, and well. On my "play" machine I actually have Gnome (ubuntu-desktop), kde3 (kubuntu-desktop), kde4 (from launchpad) and enlightenment (provided by gOS) simultaneously installed and I have had no issues (except that the laptop is old and a piece of junk). I switch between the different desktops frequently and use the system for many random tasks. That said, I am not a full time user of this box.

As far as which desktop to use, Ubuntu is decidedly a Gnome distribution and that is its strength. I have always been a supporter of KDE but in Ubuntu I prefer Gnome and the desktop integration is great. I feel like the KDE version (Kubuntu-desktop) is much more of a raw version of KDE than is Gnome in the Ubuntu-desktop flavor. Of course, this is speaking from a standpoint of Gusty, but I'm certain Hardy will provide the same results.

--Marty