Art Alexion on 17 Mar 2008 10:43:45 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Hardy Heron

On Monday 17 March 2008 13:34:45 Chad Waters wrote:
>  >  Art Alexion wrote:
> >  | Gutsy was the smoothest *ubuntu update I've ever done, even the
> >  | "tribes".  Has anyone upgraded Gutsy->Hardy?  Experiences?
> >  | How has the apparent Kubuntu dual KDE 3.5.8/4 affected this for
> >  | you?
> >
> >  i'd be interested in stories as well; i'm holding out for the upgrade
> >  for later in the week when it hits beta (w00t!)
>
> I've been running Hardy for quite some time.
>
> I don't think kde4 installs by default.
>
> If you want it, install the kubuntu-kde4-desktop meta package. All of
> the packages and libraries are segregated from the kde 3.x versions
> provided by kubuntu-desktop (Top level kubuntu meta package.
>
> It looks ok, but I've only played with it for a few minutes at a time,
> and then switched back to gnome.

Would you use Hardy — gnome or kde — in production (with a backup machine just
in case) or wait?  I would normally say "no" without hesitation except I put
Gutsy on a test machine at Tribe 3 and never used Feisty again.  If its that
good, I'll do it again.

Also, do the kubuntu-kde4-desktop and kubuntu-desktop meta-packages co-exist,
or is it one or the other?

Thanks for the insight.