Chad Vogelsong on 18 Mar 2008 17:54:40 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Linux distribution for virtuous machines

Last time I looked, a base install of Ubuntu server did not use a GUI
and was between 500 - 800 MB, depending on the "servers" installed
(http, ftp, ssh, dns, dhcp, etc.).  My fully loaded server install right
now has an installed size of 977 MB, with another 100 MB in /var.  I'm
not including /home since that is all my data.  No desktop or other GUI
is installed.

root@data1:/tmp# uname -r
2.6.22-14-server

-- Chad

K.S. Bhaskar wrote:
> What is a good Linux distribution to use for building virtual
> machines?  I previously used DSL (damnsmalllinux.org), but I need a
> 2.6 kernel and a more contemporary selection of packages.  VM size is
> important - both Debian Stable and Ubuntu server VMs are bigger than
> DSL, but I don't need a graphical desktop - just character mode.  Any
> recommendations on distros I can use to get me a small character mode
> VM with a 2.6 kernel?
>
> Thanx muchly, in advance.
>
> -- Bhaskar

Skype: 	cvogelsong