Matthew Rosewarne on 18 Mar 2008 21:19:06 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Linux distribution for virtuous machines

On Tuesday 18 March 2008, JP Vossen wrote:
> Have you tried doing a *minimal* Debian install?  Unlike Red Hat, Debian
> understand what "minimal" means.  The way I do it is when you get to the
> tool that selects packages (I forget which incarnation of which tool is
> used in the installer), just exit it.  Very little is installed, not
> even SSH!  From there I simply aptitude install whatever I need.  That
> gives you all of the stability, and l33tness of Debian, along with it's,
> errr, timeliness <ducks>.  IIRC a minimal Etch was < 300M.

Instead of doing any sort of install, I would rather recommend trying
something like Debian From Scratch, which is set up approximately like the
old Gentoo install but without any compilation.  Better yet, you can make a
custom "flavour" (configuration) for debootstrap, which would allow you to
crank out tiny VM instances with a single command.  There are also scripts
available for automatically creating instances for UML, Xen, vserver, QEMU,
and others.