Gabriel Sean Farrell on 19 Mar 2008 07:09:53 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Linux distribution for virtuous machines

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 09:17:15PM -0400, JP Vossen wrote:
> Have you tried doing a *minimal* Debian install?  Unlike Red Hat, Debian
> understand what "minimal" means.  The way I do it is when you get to the
> tool that selects packages (I forget which incarnation of which tool is
> used in the installer), just exit it.  Very little is installed, not
> even SSH!  From there I simply aptitude install whatever I need.  That
> gives you all of the stability, and l33tness of Debian, along with it's,
> errr, timeliness <ducks>.  IIRC a minimal Etch was < 300M.

I would also recommend this method.  After the base system is installed,
deselect any "tasks".  Once the machine has rebooted, install further
packages as needed.  This is the minimum amount of hassle for a minimal
system.