Brian Vagnoni on 22 Mar 2008 15:41:58 -0700

Re: [PLUG] the dreaded Wireless Monster<tm>

If it is any consolation, I too have a Broadcom Dell 1500 mini-express card in my bag which I replaced with an Intel 3945 card I purchased from Dell's parts department. I did this because of the instability problems with the ndiswrapper and the fact I wanted to do cool stuff like run Kismet and aircrack ...etc. So I too had to learn the hard way.

The hardest part of replacing the card was trying to find out the Dell part number. Dells parts department is a; "parts is parts" department, and if you don't have the correct part number they have no clue as to what you are talking about. I remember ordering an s-video to component video adapter and getting a power supply for their uber high end portable work station. I got the ps at the $16.95 price for the adapter which I kept and just reordered.

I've also orderd heat sink assemblies, video cards, all which I then used to upgrade my laptop.  I went from an 1.6Ghz Intel Core 1, to a 2 Ghz core duo 2, an Nvidia 7800 128mb video card to a 7900 256 mb video card, as well as changing out the WiFI network card. I could have also done the bluetooth 350 card to 355 card all internal devices. I joke with people that I could field strip my laptop and put in back together in the dark I've done it so many times.

Brian Vagnoni

PGP Digital Fingerprint

F076 6EEE 06E5 BEEF EBBD BD36 F29E 850D FC32 3955