Eugene Smiley on 26 Mar 2008 08:39:58 -0700

Re: [PLUG] NTP process FYI

TuskenTower wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 6:00 PM, Eugene Smiley <eug+plug@esmiley.net> wrote:
>> An ST0 source is either a radio, telephone, or
>>  GPS receiver that feeds an ST1 NTP server time data.
>
> You know, that begs the question, if I can buy an atomic clock, why
> don't I just buy one the works with my computer?  The one that I have
> syncs with some terrestrial broadcast.

I'm not sure what you are asking. I doubt you are asking about the atomic clocks
owned by governments, costing millions of dollars. Are you talking about
inexpensive clocks like these (which run off the WWVB radio broadcast signal):
http://www.atomicclocks.com/

I'm not sure of the degree of accuracy of these clocks, but guess it to be
around +/- .25 sec. It would get too expensive to make it more accurate with
little return.

This, http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-00258-52-Gps-16-LVS/dp/B000GKD19Q, is
what is commonly used in the pool community, but it's not plug and play. It
requires some hardware tinkering as well as software recompiling.

To be honest I'd rather see all my household clocks/TVs/VCRs/stove/microwave
replaced with 'dumb' clocks that get the time from a timeserver blackbox that
plugs into a broadband connection. The drawback being that every piece of
equipment(clock/TV/VCR/stove/microwave) would require a Powerline Ethernet chip
(or similar tech) adding to the cost and complexity.