TuskenTower on 26 Mar 2008 10:54:10 -0700

Re: [PLUG] NTP process FYI

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 11:39 AM, Eugene Smiley <eug+plug@esmiley.net> wrote:

> TuskenTower wrote:
>  > On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 6:00 PM, Eugene Smiley <eug+plug@esmiley.net> wrote:
>  >> An ST0 source is either a radio, telephone, or
>  >>  GPS receiver that feeds an ST1 NTP server time data.
>  >
>  > You know, that begs the question, if I can buy an atomic clock, why
>  > don't I just buy one the works with my computer?  The one that I have
>  > syncs with some terrestrial broadcast.
>
>  I'm not sure what you are asking. I doubt you are asking about the atomic clocks
>  owned by governments, costing millions of dollars. Are you talking about
>  inexpensive clocks like these (which run off the WWVB radio broadcast signal):
>  http://www.atomicclocks.com/
Yes, that is what I meant.

>  I'm not sure of the degree of accuracy of these clocks, but guess it to be
>  around +/- .25 sec. It would get too expensive to make it more accurate with
>  little return.
Well, considering I just want the correct time within a minute, that
level of accuracy is good enough.  I'm thinking strictly from home use
point of view, not business or security critical where time matters.

>  This, http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-00258-52-Gps-16-LVS/dp/B000GKD19Q, is
>  what is commonly used in the pool community, but it's not plug and play. It
>  requires some hardware tinkering as well as software recompiling.
>
>  To be honest I'd rather see all my household clocks/TVs/VCRs/stove/microwave
>  replaced with 'dumb' clocks that get the time from a timeserver blackbox that
>  plugs into a broadband connection. The drawback being that every piece of
>  equipment(clock/TV/VCR/stove/microwave) would require a Powerline Ethernet chip
>  (or similar tech) adding to the cost and complexity.
Now that is an idea.  HomePNA has a an interesting use.

Amul