Matt Ayres on 27 Mar 2008 09:29:59 -0700

Re: [PLUG] virtualization recommendations

brent saner wrote:

> Matt Ayres wrote:
> |
> | I believe Microsoft VPC is free.  So is VMware Server (NOT ESX).

> further clarification,
> VMWare GSX --> VMWare Server
>
> but i personally have had a fair amount of problems with VMWare Server.
>
> I feel that if i could get Xen working flawlessly, it'd be my
> preferred VM. i haven't tried it for a while, though, so they may have
> ironed out all the kinks since.

Windows runs under Xen under HVM (hardware assisted mode).  Disk and
network throughput sucks.  What is required to fix this is PV
(para-virtualized) drivers to be installed in the Windows guest.
XenSource includes these in their XenExpress (4 VM limit) that is freely
available.  There is a effort underway to make GPL PV drivers for
Windows.  You can grab the latest version from
http://www.meadowcourt.org/WindowsXenPV-0.8.5.zip.  I forgot the
homepage for it.

Thanks,
Matt