Art Alexion on 27 Mar 2008 20:47:17 -0700

Re: [PLUG] virtualization recommendations

On Thursday 27 March 2008 17:28:36 Matthew Rosewarne wrote:
> On Thursday 27 March 2008, Art Alexion wrote:
> > Without the kvm option, what are the recommendations among vmware, xen,
> > virtualpc, parallels, qemu, etc. for the forgoing?
>
> You can use QEMU with KQEMU instead of KVM, which isn't quite as fast, but
> there isn't a huge difference.  There's also virtualbox-ose, but I'd try
> qemu+kqemu first.

It is interesting that you mention that.  When I first started using kvm at
home, I would sometimes forget to modprobe the kvm module, and it would run
qemu.  The performance hit was incredible — barely acceptable.

What I need to test is whether an intentional invocation of qemu is a slow as
a qemu default after an attempted kvm invocation.

The reason I posted this question is because the qemu performance was so slow
compared to kvm, and I was wondering what alternatives provided decent
performance.  I'll have to try running qemu alone to see.