Michael Bevilacqua on 4 Apr 2008 16:09:49 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Suggested reading

On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 4:36 PM, william antill <kngbeavis@gmail.com> wrote:
David,
 Im not so much trying to learn from books, but while Im playing with
my desktop, which has Ubuntu, It would be nice to have a book nearby
to have as a reference, this is in conjunction with my continuing
education. I found linux through school, one of my classmates, an
older gentleman who was brought up on UNIX and got into linux showed
me that windows and DOS isnt all there is, which was all i knew at the
time.  I learned DOS by way of an old POS machine running win 3.1 and
my uncle who is a DB guy.  I learned what worked and what broke things
that way.

Isn't that what Gentoo, Slackware and LFS (Linux From Scratch) is for? Personally, if you want to get into the nitty-gritty and understand what is really happening under the hood, you might want to try one of these other distros. They force you to learn it all from a minimalist perspective on up. It can be frustrating, but every time you hit a road block you learn something new. Most of the time the documentation will take you through the tougher parts and the community can help you through the rest. At least, that's my 2 cents.

--
Michael D. Bevilacqua
michael@bevilacqua.us