rmsolino on 7 Apr 2008 02:47:39 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Speaking of network monitoring......

jeff wrote:
> I just got one of the Network World emails which stated that network
> pros spend an inordinate amount of time troubleshooting network
> problems.  This goes against the data that shows spending increasing for
> monitoring tools.
>
> Funny, that.
> I think the article parallels some of my research, in that people either
> aren't using the right tools or aren't using the tools right.  Or something.
>
> If this is something we can get into here, what do YOU use?  What do you
> recommend?  What are the above-referenced folks missing?

We have some Network General sniffers that are begging to be replaced
with a more open solution.
(we've been getting a disappointing run-around from the vendor (whoever
owns it now) regarding support).
Is there a similar network analysis tool w/GUI frontend?
I'd also like to play with netflow analysis, but the boss nixed the tool
we were looking at. recommendations?

> I set up MRTG a while back.  It seems to be good for baseline and
> historical data.  In addition, there's a bit of freeware (Win/lin)
> called The Dude, which does everything from discovery to graphical ping
> and snmp.  I have the output splayed across a 2x2 matrix of 22" monitors
> so the gang can see the status of the network at any time.  It never
> fails to impress the hell out of people who are brave enough to enter
> Area 51 (where MIS lives).
>
> I'm short one log viewer/analyzer.  As the servers are Windows, I'm
> having a bit of difficulty finding acceptable solutions.  I'm looking at
> either platform for the monitor, but prefer linux.  The Win solutions
> start around $2k, which seems silly.  The lin programs seem to want to
> convert to syslog and go from there.
>
> Is there a less complex solution?

we switched to Arcsight, and it seems to everything asked of it.
the web interface is a little too javascripty (anything that interferes
with a simple cut/paste is bad, guys!)
Idunno what the implementation cost was ...