Brian Vagnoni on 19 Apr 2008 11:23:49 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Hacking the eeePC

From: brent timothy saner [mailto:brent.saner@gmail.com]
To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List [mailto:plug@lists.phillylinux.org]
Sent: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 13:19:25 -0400
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Hacking the eeePC

also. hate to beat a dead horse, but the eeepc's a better deal for your
money.

sure, the HP has a bigger screen for the same price*, but check out the
rest of the specs. uhh, a VIA chip? at 400 mhz?? /really/? only 512 mb
ram? a VIA gfx chip? only 4gb SSD?

are you kidding me?

i'm sorry, but overall that's ridiculous. i'll tell you what you're
paying for with that higher pricetag:

-a VERY SLIGHTLY larger screen, which is really kind of negligible for a
sub-notebook in the first place since it really doesn't add much (i'm
not impressed).

-SuSE license, which most of us wouldn't even use anyway. (bulk of the
extra price)

-standard HP markup (other half of the bulk)

overall, not a good deal if you ask me.

*compared to eeepc 8gb models, which run for $499 as well. per
dynamism.com, where i ordered my black galaxy 8gb model.

--
brent saner.
gpg info at http://www.notebookarmy.org/gpg.txt

From what I've read there seems to be some disagreement here. The eeePC won't run Vista(not that I would) but as a benchmark of capabilities and performance the fact that the HP can makes a difference to me. I use Suse(call me lame) like Suse and it's a plus for me. The metal case and the bigger screen is also a plus. I've had people try and run things like Backtrack on the eeePC and have issues with being able to see the whole screen on certain utilities with no real fix. I don't like the Broadcom wireless card that they use in the 2133 and am surprised that there are actual real Linux drivers for it.

I will most likely spring for more than the base model on any device I buy. Notebook Review http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4352 proves put that the HP is slower than the eeePC as much as you can trust benchmarks.

Actually and after doing a little bit for reading into this subject I would advise people to wait and see what comes in the next six months.  We are at the tip of the iceberg here folks with this technology and there will be many more players falling over each other, other than Intel & AMD to stake their claim in the UMPC market.  Most specs are still in flux. Personally I wouldn't buy a car the first year that it came out. Anyone who has worked in a manufacturing or in the software development environment will tell you this. There are too many non-technology pressures placed on engineers and designers the first year something comes out and the consumer typically gets screwed in the end. Though not written in stone I would say my last statement is more of a rule that the exception.

It's a very exciting time for this technology. The Silverthorn devices look very very cool. Though I love my Dell E1705, I would glady lose the Dell weight scale 2 gallon milk cartons I typically carry around with me for a device that performed well enough for me to do day to day stuff as well as hack and other fun stuff for under $800. The smaller device is also a plus on travel will airline seats getting smaller and smaller.

I would tell people that are going to buy one to do your research well, from multiple sources and take a hard look at specs. Specifically stay away from soldered memory component unless you are Mil Spec Certified solderer or similar hardware ubergeek.

PS E-mail me privately whether or not I'm rapping at 70 characters or less.  I'm trying to comply with the group will. I use many different platforms during the day typically 4 Windows, Linux, WM6, and MAC OSX, as well as web clients and therefore many different e-mail readers so it gets complicated at times.

Brian Vagnoni
PGP Digital Fingerprint
F076 6EEE 06E5 BEEF EBBD BD36 F29E 850D FC32 3955