jadoba on 25 Apr 2008 17:37:10 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Distro for Windows User

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 05:37:24PM -0400, Casey Bralla wrote:
> I'm sure this has been asked before, but does anyone have a suggestion for the
> most Windows-like distribution.

> Note: That by "Windows Like", I *don't* mean an EULA madness, automatic
> updates that disable features, crashing drivers, etc <grin>
>
> I want my Dad to try Linux, but he's 81 years old, and frequently calls me
> because he forgets how to update an address in his Thunderbird mail list
> <sigh>

My father is 81 years old.  I set him up as such:

Debian lenny...  After boot, it automatically starts X without asking
for login credentilals.  His window manager is JWM.  The desktop menu
has "firefox", "Penguin Solitare" and "lastfm radio", as well as a bunch
of other card games.  That is it!  He has a gmail account.  Everything
he needs is online.  Every week or so I upgrade his machine, and it
rarely flubbs up.  He really loves youtube and the food network.

Also, the hardware is very small:
MiniITX machine, celeron 215, 256 MB ram, 4gb ide flash module
15" LCD display, wireless keyboard and mouse

Mind you, before I gave him his machine last year, he hadn't used a
computer since windows 98, about 8 years ago.

--
James Barrett