jeff on 27 Apr 2008 21:52:28 -0700

Re: [PLUG] syslog - any easy way out?

I love that you said this :)

> I feed everything to a
> Debian server and use the built-in logcheck package to send me email

I just started sending to an Ubuntu server, on which I'm trying out
various solutions.  I'm pretty sure I installed Logcheck (and 20 other
things that started with log...).  It all tended to come out...ummm....
in a way that was really difficult for me to read.

I feel a good rant coming on (but will spare you for the moment).  Let's
just say that I'm not looking for the holy grail and it shouldn't be
this difficult.

> Since I do it that way, I haven't looked into pretty/GUI solutions in
> several years.

Yeah, I'm the guy who bitches about KDE and Vista, yet I want something
a little prettier than syslog text.  I'm shooting myself with my own gun
  here.

> Things that might be worth a look (list subject to linkrot):

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll be checking this week (subject to the
usual emergencies, a few unseen emergencies, chocolate breaks, and
twelve meetings my boss `forgot to tell me about').

-=-=-
... Remember when R&B was Sam and Dave?