Claude M. Schrader on 27 Apr 2008 22:01:32 -0700

Re: [PLUG] syslog - any easy way out?

On 00:39 Mon 28 Apr     , jeff wrote:

> I'm unclear on how it would assist in the case of tracking down who or
> what is sucking up bandwidth at an unprecedented rate.

A managed switch that is SNMP capable gives you detailed bandwith info on
each port, so you will see a large spike if someone is using an inordinate
amount of bandwidth. They are more expensive, but Edgewater Networks, Linksys SMB
line and the Cisco Express series are all relatively inexpensive. You can
also get alerts if there is a duplex mismatch, or a port is taking
errors. Well worth the extra money IMO
Claude