Glenn Kelley on 2 May 2008 09:39:33 -0700

Re: [PLUG] ssh key based authentication

Well put.!

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org] On Behalf Of Erek Dyskant
Sent: Friday, May 02, 2008 11:35 AM
To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List
Subject: Re: [PLUG] ssh key based authentication

For those of you who use rsync over ssh for backups, I've found about
1.5x to 2x performance increases by going to the rsync protocol instead
of ssh, or using the rsync protocol tunneled through a VPN.

Turns out that SSH has substantial CPU overhead when using it to send
entire filesystems worth of data.

Cheers,
Erek Dyskant

On Fri, 2008-05-02 at 11:29 -0400, Tim Allen wrote:
> I had a similar problem a few weeks ago. I had a cron job running rsync
over
> SSH to back up from servers here in Philadelphia to Idaho for backup once
an
> hour, and noticed it stopped working. It turns out one of my devs changed
> the permissions on the grandparent directory by accident while under root
> reconfiging apache. The entire tree has to have properly secured
permissions
> or SSH will fail (and rightly so!).
>
> There's an excellent tutorial with best practices suggestions and
> troubleshooting tips on rsync over SSH (and SSH key-gen in general)
located

http://www.eset.com