Chad Vogelsong on 11 May 2008 21:00:18 -0700

Re: [PLUG] inexpensive network scanner or MFP?

I looked at these Brother MFP's.  The thing that has me worried is in the manual for the printers, it says about needing software installed on the PC (Win or Mac) that gets registered with the printer.  You then select the destination PC from the MFP to scan to as an image, e-mail (using e-mail software on the PC) or OCR / PDF.

I haven't seen one yet that you can go into the setup of the printer and give it any FTP site or SMB share and let it rip.  Or using it's own SMTP server (or another on the network) and having it send out the e-mails with PDF attached directly.

I can't believe this would be that hard to find.  It seems like a relatively simple request.  Unfortunately, printer manufacturers seem to rely more on client side software than actually putting the functionality into the MFP's.

Chad

Rich G wrote:
I have a Brother MFC 640W which does all you ask for exceot it is a lser
jet.  Printing text is fine.  Graphics works well but I've seen better.
Scanning to PDF works w/o a PC which is awesome - multipaged PDF or TIFF
as well.  It connects wired Ethernet (how I use it) or wireless (USB as
well).

The only thing I'm hesitant about is the ink cartridge has a lifespan
and I've not looked into how to (if it is possible) to bypass.

Rich