Ezra Wolfe on 16 May 2008 07:20:27 -0700

[PLUG] OpenSSH on Debian advice needed

Hi all,

I patched some of our Debian servers last night in response to the OpenSSH issue (http://www.debian.org/security/2008/dsa-1571) without any problems.

However, one of our servers complained when I ran the update:

XXX:~# apt-get install ssh
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
  kernel-image-2.4.27-2-386: Depends: initrd-tools (>= 0.1.48) but it is not going to be installed
  ssh: Depends: openssh-client but it is not going to be installed
       Depends: openssh-server but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
I've read a few things on the web about dealing with unmet dependencies and none of them inspire a whole lot of confidence for me just to use the -f option.

Does anyone have any advice on the best way to upgrade this package? Unfortunately, I'm not a system admin, and didn't build this server, so I don't know best practice in this situation or the history of the box.

Here is the output of /proc/version:

Linux version 2.4.27-2-386 (horms@tabatha.lab.ultramonkey.org) (gcc version 3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-13))

Regards,
Ezra