W. Chris Shank on 28 May 2008 09:44:55 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Need to build a web gui for a router box--possible contract job opportunity.

oh i see. i didn't realize this was product development. RTFP i guess.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eirikur Hallgrimsson" <eh@mad.scientist.com>
To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2008 8:47:53 AM (GMT-0500) America/New_York
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Need to build a web gui for a router box--possible contract job opportunity.

It's a special purpose router that can't be replaced by anything that's
available off the shelf today.  The company doesn't like to say more
than that, even though I see little possible harm.  It has a different
feature set, but the basic problem is routing between ports based on
rules, and that part of the code is all done--complete with command line
interface.  It needs a GUI to make it to the marketplace.

It's not a very large GUI, I really think it comparable to the web GUI
found in Linksys and Netgear home router/firewall boxes.  Hence it's a
mistake to stay with a keyboard/mouse/screen attached to the box.

I don't know what the actual processor and memory will be for the
appliance versions.  I suspect that isn't nailed down yet.

Eirikur

W. Chris Shank wrote:
> is there something special about this which precludes you from using
> m0n0wall or pfsense? this is a router right?

W. Chris Shank
ACE Technology Group
www.myRemoteITdept.com