Christopher M. Jones on 5 Jun 2008 10:01:24 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Drexel's Windows requirements

OK, people are telling me that they can submit in the assignment manager
running OSX and Linux. Before I do write anyone about this, I probably
should make sure this really is a problem.

When I tried the first time, BB informed me that I must upload the file
in a supported format. I googled this, and found out that BB checks not
only the browser name and version but the platform identifier. So I
installed the user agent in my firefox to get around this. But I still
got the message about format. So I googled some more and found the issue
about the filesystem. In the forum I was reading the recommended
workaround was to escape the linux / with a \ throughout the file path.
So I did this, and the message about using an usupported format went
away to be replaced with... nothing. No response from BB, and no
uploaded file.

I've got an ext3 filesystem and a .doc created in OOo. Since I don't
have a copy of Word, I cant test this with a native Word document.

Also, I'm an iSchool student. I don't go to campus, so I can't use their
machines. I do have XP running in VBox, so I'm really not concerned
about being able to submit my assignments. It's a hassle to fire up VBox
just for that, but I'll live. What really concerns me is the draconian
nature of the requirement. The only reason I have a copy of XP is
because my company gave me one. What if I didn't?

Also, this only seems to have become an issue with the prof since she
was told that she is required to keep copies of all submitted
assignments. Apparently, the assignment manager is the most efficient
way for her to do this. I don't blame her for wanting the assignements
submitted 'properly'.