Casey Bralla on 6 Jun 2008 02:58:28 -0700

[PLUG] Remote Control of Windows Vista

My 81 year old dad's computer died, so he bought a new computer with Windows
Vista.   The only thing that has kept me sane as he has repeatedly called me
for help over the last few years had been my ability to take remote control
of his old WinXP laptop.   I had used the free WinVNC server on his computer,
and KDE's remote desktop on mine.

Apparently, WinVNC does not support Vista, so I had him load the newest
version of UltraVNC (www.uvnc.com) which does.   Unfortunately, as I walked
him through the installation (and I did a parallel installation on my WinXP
system running in a vbox), we found that I could not make contact with his
computer, even though it UVNC appeared to be running properly.   My attempt
to contact his computer eventually timed out.

I'm fairly certain that I have his correct IP address, and that our ISPs are
not blocking the port (at least, they didn't used to block them as of a few
months ago).

I suspect the Vista firewall is blocking the connection, but I've never used
Vista and so can't walk him through opening up the firewall (if that is the
problem).

Anybody fought this problem with Vista?   How can I use open source tools to
take remote control of a Vista computer?

--

Casey Bralla
Chief Nerd in Residence