Andrew Tsen on 12 Jun 2008 07:57:33 -0700

Re: [PLUG] temp sensors

Some cisco switches (depending on the IOS or CatOS) might have a temperature output if you do 'show environment'.  And then you can whip up a snmp probe to it and alert you.  As well as fan speed, etc.

We have invested some dough into a couple of sensors from: http://www.sensatronics.com/

Standard temp gauge comes with 4 probes and you can place them in four corners or even different rooms.  The probe is about 50' in length so you have plenty of slack to deploy.

We also have a humidity sensing probe (one of our servers room was always humid) so we got that.

All probes include a 10Mb network card ... and supports SNMP, so you can plug it into your nagios or whatever monitoring system you have.

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 9:31 AM, Chad Waters <chad@chadwaters.com> wrote:
On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 9:19 AM, jeff <Xt> wrote:
> Before I go (more) nuts looking, are there any temp sensors (SMART
> aside?) in servers or UPSes to alert to things like air conditioning
> failure?

And the ongoing APC plug continues...

Sensors that plug into the UPSs...
http://apcc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=4

I'm sure other UPS vendors have similar products.

-Chad

- Drew