JP Vossen on 20 Jun 2008 12:13:51 -0700

Re: [PLUG] possible preso

> Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 14:29:23 -0400
> From: brent saner <brent.saner@gmail.com>
>
> i have a presentation coming up july 2nd on hacking the eeepc,

Any chance on doing that one for PLUG West or North?  I'd like to see
it, but am not going to be able to get down to the city for it.  Some
PANTUG members might like this one too.

> recently i replaced my beat-up worthless motorola razr v3 with a
> blackberry curve 8310.
>
> obviously, my first thought was "backup". i stumbled across Barry:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/barry
>
> it's fantastic. mostly cli (i'm a cli-junkie though), but it does have
> a gui frontend for backup/restore.
>
> also lets you delete/dump/whatever test messages, phone call logs, etc.
>
> lastly, there's an opensync plugin for it.
>
> so! show of hands. who'd be interested?

I am, but maybe not why you think, and again for West or North.  Being a
Security Geek, I'm a member of the ISSA-DV, and we talk about computer
forensics a lot.  I was able to tour the PA-RCFL
(http://www.phrcfl.org/) which was pretty cool.  One of the things that
came up is that Windows is/was the vast bulk of investigations, but cell
phones and PDAs are on a hockey-stick rise.  So the first thing that
jumped into my head was that this tool has very interesting implications
there.

When I asked about Linux and/or encryption, they told me they hardly
ever see either.  Mostly Windows, Phones/PDAs more and more, a few Macs,
and that's mostly it.

Later,
JP