Andrew Libby on 23 Jun 2008 10:07:42 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Why Virtualize?

Actually, and I admit this is somewhat off topic but there are reasons
to be
considerate of electric prices.   As I understand it price caps on
electricity, long
in force will be expiring this year.  I've heard predictions that our
electric
prices will be rising 10% - 30% per year for the next few years.  I
don't believe
this is in direct connection with the cost of fuel, just inflationary
perhaps.
(Reeling it in to the topic) Our field is responsible for a considerable
amount of idle
consumption of electricity.

Andy

Sean C. Sheridan wrote:
> Main point:
> -----------
> This is an excellent thread and something I've been thinking about.
> Thanks to everyone for doing all the hard work so we can learn from your
> experience.
>

> OT - nitpick point and MHO:
> ---------------------------
>
>> Mind you, that doesn't include operating costs, and with gas prices
>> increasing, can electricity costs be far behind?
>>

> We get roughly 1/3 of our electricity from coal which we have in abundance
> and is not getting more expensive.  The second third, roughly, comes from
> nuclear ("nukular", if you are a fan of Bush&co.).  So while natural gas
> prices *may* rise, it won't have the impact many fear.
>
> Besides, the oil bubble is going to pop and energy will be affordable once
> again.
>

> Sean C. Sheridan
> scs@CampusClients.com
>
> Campus Party, Inc.