Casey Bralla on 24 Jun 2008 04:12:53 -0700

[PLUG] Utility to image a linux host? - The Result

Thanks to all for the suggestions.  Here is what I used and how it worked.

Morgan's suggestion of partimage was perfect.   It did the job, but with a few
issues.

Partimage has several options.  You can do it all from the command line, which
is good for creating multiple copies of an imaged system.  It also works with
it's own custom file server (to store the images) or can work with NFS or SMB
mounts.   Unfortunately, it has some serious drawbacks too.  These are:

1.  The character GUI is terrible.  Almost any error will throw you out (exit
the program) and you have to start over.
2.  You have to know the restored image's file name..  no browsing.  (and type
it wrong, and the program exits and you have to start all over.)
3.  I got all kinds of weird "file is locked" errors, none of which made any
sense at all. (some turned out to be a bug related to NFS.)
4.  The help forums are populated with dozens of un-answered questions, but
not many answers.   Development of partimage seems to have stopped several
years ago.
5.  The disk to be imaged has to be unmounted.  So you have to be running a
live CD (I found Knoppix to be best).
6.  I could not restore using an NFS mount to access the image file (got
the "file is locked" error).  However, SMB mounts worked very well.

Bottom line:  Mission accomplished (with much sweating and cursing)

--

Casey Bralla
Chief Nerd in Residence