Dan Widyono on 25 Jun 2008 08:48:27 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Linux-compatible personal audio players?

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 11:03:57AM -0400, Michael Leone wrote:
> My iRiver H320 used to do that, too. But most players these days don't
> work like that - they depend on the tagging of the files, in order to
> choose/play what you want. If your files aren't tagged correctly ...
> oh, well.
>
> I much prefer the other way - I put my own folder structure on the
> player, and tell it to start playing at a specific folder. It then
> plays all files in that folder, and any sub-folders ...

Boy, I'd like to be able to do that too...

Just to be clear, you can use any arrangement of subfolders, but the Sansa
automatically organizes its internal menu based on the MP3 tags as you
described.  Therefore, for instance, I had one CD which was a compilation of
various artists.  The Sansa uses the tags so I end up with:

Artist/
  CD Title/
    Song Title

Artist2/
  Same CD Title/
    Song Title2

etc.

Each Artist has one CD within, and each CD has one song within.  Argh.  This
was only a problem with a couple of CD's.  So, yeah, the next time I do this
I'll be fixing tags manually first.

Dan W.