TuskenTower on 1 Jul 2008 15:00:17 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Asterisk problem

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 3:34 PM, Michael Leone <turgon@mike-leone.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 4:28 PM, Doug Crompton <doug@crompton.com> wrote:

>>> Why? What is the problem with running them at their rated speeds?
>>
>> Nothing other than wasted power and heat when not needed. That is the
>> purpose of the variable speed.
>
> Yeah? And? If running it at variable speed makes it not work right,
> then what is the point of variable speed?

You are ASSuming of course that power management is the problem.

>>> I would think that solving the problem (i.e., I need a PBX) to be of
>>> more important consideration than the specifics of any one solution,
>>> open source or not.
>>>

>> This is my personal system at home!
>
> My question is still valid. You feel you need a PBX at home, else you
> wouldn't do this (you're certainly not doing it because you're bored,
> and looking for something to do). So there must be a need for a PBX.
> And there are needs going unfulfilled, since you're spending so much
> time with the PBX, instead of the other needs.
>
> So my question - would it be easier to just buy one, and then you have
> the time to devote to needs now not being serviced by you?

I'm confused.  Isn't one of the reasons we run Linux to tinker with
the hardware and software?  Let's say I have some hardware quirk that
causes my MythTV setup to bork.  Am I better off giving up on the
hardware that I already purchased and buying a Tivo (and accessories)
because I am spending too much time on MythTV?

He's running Asterix because he chooses to run it.  It is his choice.
His effort might come in handy elsewhere.  Since when is it your job
to police what another person does to his/her computer in the privacy
of his/her home? :P

my 2 cents,
Amul