Casey Bralla on 6 Jul 2008 18:12:33 -0700

[PLUG] Suggestions for Troubleshooting Microphone

Could somebody suggest some troubleshooting steps for me to figure out why my microphone doesn't work on my Gentoo AMD-64 "unstable" system?

Although my sound works fine, I can't get my microphone to pick up (no signal). Previously, it has worked fine. I've verified that the hardware is all correct by booting to Kubuntu live CD and everything is fine there.

I've checked the obvious thing of mixer levels and inputs.

Sound hardware is pretty normal on my Asus AMD-64 system. lspci reports: "00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 60)"

I think I've built the correct kernel modules and loaded them. Here are the relevant modules:

snd_via82xx 25312 6

snd_ac97_codec 115800 1 snd_via82xx

ac97_bus 2048 1 snd_ac97_codec

Anybody have any other suggestions to track this problem down?

--

Casey Bralla

Chief Nerd in Residence

The NerdWorld Organisation