Casey Bralla on 9 Jul 2008 06:10:55 -0700

Re: [PLUG] laptop issue

Not sure on this one, but here here are some suggestions:

1.  Run other Live CD's and see if they crash.  Especially try Ubuntu and
Kubuntu, which (I presume) share the same X Window code base.

2.  Segfaults can be memory problems.  Run memory checker.

3.  Look for "weird" things in the BIOS settings.  Especially memory timings.

Good luck!

On Tuesday 08 July 2008 6:22:43 pm jeff wrote:
> Dell Latitude D531 Xubuntu
> Get login screen as normal, takes me to select session as normal.
> Then gives the impression it's trying to go somewhere and BLIP - right
> back to login screen.
>
> Can't get to failsafe Gnome (prob a different issue)
> Next time through, it tells me the session lasted under 10 seconds and
> gives the xsession-errors file:
>
> /etcgdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup
> /etc/profile: 29:  [[: not found
> Setting IM through..
> Start IM through...
> /usr/bin/startxfce4: X server already running on display :0
> xrdb:  "Xft.hinting" on line 15 overrides entry on line 6
> xrdb:  "Xft.hintstyle" .....
> ** Message: Querying XF86Misc ext
>              XF86Misc ext found
>              Querying Xkb ext
>              Xkb ext found
>              Querying XINPUT ext
>              XINPUT ext found
>              Querying Xkb ext
>              Xkb ext found
> Segmentation fault
>

> Can get to failsafe terminal through X.   Looking through
> /var/log/messages, will advise.
>

> Thanks.
>

> Got into recovery mode via grub, did X repair, no luck.

Casey Bralla
Chief Nerd in Residence
The NerdWorld Organisation