jeff on 8 Jul 2008 15:22:46 -0700

[PLUG] laptop issue

Dell Latitude D531 Xubuntu
Get login screen as normal, takes me to select session as normal.
Then gives the impression it's trying to go somewhere and BLIP - right
back to login screen.

Can't get to failsafe Gnome (prob a different issue)
Next time through, it tells me the session lasted under 10 seconds and
gives the xsession-errors file:

/etcgdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup
/etc/profile: 29:  [[: not found
Setting IM through..
Start IM through...
/usr/bin/startxfce4: X server already running on display :0
xrdb:  "Xft.hinting" on line 15 overrides entry on line 6
xrdb:  "Xft.hintstyle" .....
** Message: Querying XF86Misc ext
             XF86Misc ext found
             Querying Xkb ext
             Xkb ext found
             Querying XINPUT ext
             XINPUT ext found
             Querying Xkb ext
             Xkb ext found
Segmentation fault

Can get to failsafe terminal through X.   Looking through
/var/log/messages, will advise.

Thanks.

Got into recovery mode via grub, did X repair, no luck.