Matt Mossholder on 28 Jul 2008 15:19:29 -0700

Re: [PLUG] IT: VMware ESXi Available For Free Starting Today

----- Original Message -----
From: "JP Vossen" <jp@jpsdomain.org>
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2008 5:49:21 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [PLUG] IT: VMware ESXi Available For Free Starting Today
[...]
"There is a “gotcha” here, however. Without purchasing a license to
VirtualCenter, VMotion and HA/DRS (in which case you are getting into
the thousands of dollars) you won’t be able to use any of the advanced
features such as live migration, clustering and high availability."
[...]

Luckily, Xen does these things quite handily, especially in combination with DRBD and Heartbeat.

http://www.drbd.org/users-guide-emb/ch-xen.html
http://www.drbd.org/users-guide-emb/ch-heartbeat.html

I've got two of my systems setup in a heartbeat cluster, with shared disk for each OS running on DRBD devices. You can live migrate VMs between the nodes, and heartbeat will restart VMs from a failed server on the other node in the cluster. You can also use Heartbeat at the service level, inside the VMs.

   --Matt