Roman Stanchak on 28 Jul 2008 20:34:34 -0700

Re: [PLUG] compiling firefox

I was in a similar situation once upon a time.  Being a Gentoo user
(at the time), I stumbled upon Prefix Gentoo:

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/index.xml

Which describes itself as:
"""
An effort to bring the virtues of Gentoo Linux to users on different
operating systems, by means of installing in a "prefix".

Usually, Gentoo's Portage installs in the root of the filesystem
hierarchy, '/'. On systems other than Gentoo Linux, this usually
results in problems, due to conflicts of software packages, unless the
OS is adapted like Gentoo/FreeBSD. Instead, Gentoo Prefix installs
with an offset, allowing to install in another location in the
filesystem hierarchy, hence avoiding conflicts. Next to this offset,
Gentoo Prefix runs unprivileged, meaning no root user or rights are
required to use it.
"""

I used it for a while, and while I can't say it was entirely a smooth
ride (Gentoo never is), it did ease dependency resolve dependency
hell.

--Roman