Ron Kaye on 31 Jul 2008 07:47:37 -0700

[PLUG] going vmware reply

very well stated.
we are a bit further along
75 done 425 more to virtualize

the vendor/vendor apps to run on vmware are a major impediment.
of course, there are always those only invested in the status quo
many vendors have not tested their virtual on a vm, and consequently wont bless it.
i dont understand this.
i would want to be the 1st on the block to have my app work in a vm.
but thats the reality.
we keeping moving forward

ron

Computer Sciences Corporation
Registered Office: 3170 Fairview Park Drive, Falls Church, Virginia 22042, USA
Registered in Nevada, USA No: C-489-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a PRIVATE message. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete without copying and kindly advise us by e-mail of the mistake in delivery.
NOTE: Regardless of content, this e-mail shall not operate to bind CSC to any order or other contract unless pursuant to explicit written agreement or government initiative expressly permitting the use of e-mail for such purpose.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lee Marzke <lee@marzke.net>
Sent by: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

07/30/2008 10:15 PM
Please respond to
"Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List"        <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>

"Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
cc
Subject
Re: [PLUG] IT: VMware ESXi Available For Free Starting Today

Ron,

I work in a near 100% Windows shop, but the folks are open to other
systems, especially now that
many appliances they use are running Linux internally.

We started out 2 yr ago with Windows boxes running free VMware server
and mostly
Windows 2003 VM's  with a few Linux VM"s I've worked into the mix.   The
group seems
much more accepting of Linux when it's just a VM and not running on bare
hardware.
So I think the use of VMware has been a huge benifit to my ablity to
bring more Linux
VM's into the shop,  and Bacula, of course, for cross platform client
backups to disk.

As a natural progression after experiencing management/backup
difficulties with 20+ VM's I
proposed VI/3 ( Virtual Center,  2ESX servers and a NetApp SAN )   It's
amazing
how well this stuff works,  and the data duplication features are
shriking my disk
volumes by 60% to 70% .   We are just rolling out the first production
boxes on VI/3
and the performance seems like 10X what we were getting on the free
product, but
that's really not a fair comparison because the new servers are not
loaded up yet.

I don't think Xen was quite a far enough along for a Windows shop when
we need a
solution.  If we had been a Linux shop,  there may have been a stronger
interest in
Xen or other solutions.  In any case - I get paid for getting solution
to work, not in
evanglizing about open source - and the VMware / NetApp solution just
plain works.
The VC management console on Windows is a pain, but I can always
rdesktop into
a Windows box.

Now with ESXi being free VMware is really selling their management
apps, and ability to move VM's while running.   So when you need to
patch the ESX host
you just migrate all the VM's (while running ) to other ESX hosts,
switch to management
mode, patch, and bring the host back up with users never aware of the
maintenance.

The ability of being able to snapshot or copy a server to a template and
redeploy to another server in 15 min is just impossible to imagine being
without.

And, yes I am bringing in or evaluating more open source / Linux
solutions every month
by getting this rolled out.

I don't know if your question was to Virtualize or not, or between Xen
and Vmware, but
clearly Virtualization is a win for my client,  and the decision between
Xen and VMware
has more to do with your main OS, and management  features / ease of use
that you need.

PS:  We did use a VAR to get the right HW mix and setup the SAN for us.
There is
a bunch of non trivial VLAN and Ethernet trunking,  softswitch setup etc
that
would be quite an effort to sort out otherwise.  You definitely need a
VAR if your
doing this for your 1st time.

Contact me off list if you need more specific info.

Lee Marzke        lee@marzke.net
IT Infrastructure Consultant
Certified Perforce SCM Consultant