JP Vossen on 9 Aug 2008 12:37:59 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Wine and orage problems on Xubuntu Hardy

> Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 22:38:42 -0400
> From: Art Alexion <art.alexion@verizon.net>
> Subject: Re: [PLUG] Wine and orage problems on Xubuntu Hardy
>
> On Friday 08 August 2008 15:59:08 JP Vossen wrote:
>>  have Wine installed on Hardy. ?Using Gnome everything is fine. ?Using
>> Xfce (via xubuntu-desktop), The "Programs" sub-menu is not shown. ?It's
>> there and selected; it works in Gnome; it shows in Apps, Settings, Main
>> Menu. ?It just doesn't display under Xfce. ?Naturally, that makes Wine
>> kinda hard to use.
>
> My boss prefers xfce for its simplicity, and I can't argue with that.  What I
> can argue with is that there are just so many things it doesn't do.  In
> xubuntu, this seems to be handled by calling a gnome app for certain gui task
> not possible with the xfce apps.  But if you are going to load the gtk/gnome
> libs, why not just use gnome?

Sigh.  I can't argue with you.  Both ubuntu-desktop and xubuntu-desktop
are installed, and I usually use Gnome.  The Xfce side is for running
VMs, under the theory that it leaves more of the host available for the
VMs than Gnome.  Given the fact that it does load a lot of Gnome stuff,
I would not be that surprised to learn that the Xfce desktop uses *more*
host resources than the Gnome one.  But I don't know how to tell.

> I don't remember how difficult it is to edit the xfce menus, but you can
> always create the wine menu.

It's easy, but I don't have to, like I said that stuff is already
*there* it just doesn't show. :-(

> The launch syntax is usually 'wine ~/.wine/path/app.exe'

Yeah, I know.  Sometimes even just '~/.wine/path/app.exe' works, which
is pretty cool.  The only reason I might want Wine under Xfce is to
access PasswordSafe [1] when launching a VM.

Thanks,
JP

[1] http://passwordsafe.sourceforge.net/
I haven't yet found a cross-platform PW program that works well on all
platforms and is compatible with the pwsafe3 format.  But the Windows
PWS runs almost perfectly under Wine.  The only thing I've noticed it
doesn't do is the CTRL-T "autotype."  But even the minimize to taskbar
is flawless.  Cool!