Dan Widyono on 10 Aug 2008 18:00:32 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Free Edutainment Software

Sorry it's not free but I'm still going to plug the Professor FizzWizzle
series of games from GrubbyGames.com.  They're awesome, they're addicting,
they're inexpensive, they're demo-able without paying, they run on Linux
(native) and Windows, they have great graphics, music, and playability, and
they're fun for ages 6-36 (age range tested so far).

I don't work for them, I'm not paid by them, I just love their products and
their compatibility with my Scientific Linux (RHEL based) desktop (although
there are two minor glitches: in the breakout style game, sometimes the
screen blanks even though I don't have any screen saver on, and I just have
to jiggle the mouse to get it to reappear; in the latest game one of the
puzzles is a mouse maze, and the mouse interface on my system is quite
unresponsive, forcing me to resort to use arrow keys and obtain much less
impressive solution times.

You can compare high scores to folks around the world; upon request, the game
downloads their central database of high scores.  Every game has a kids' mode
where you can just have fun without competition nor anxiety nor "limited
lives".  Lots of edutainment to be had (varying degrees based on which
game you're playing).  Very well executed.

Dan W.