Eric on 26 Aug 2008 07:05:04 -0700

Re: [PLUG] pre-owned ThinkPads?

Just be careful - eBay is also spelled "caveat emptor"

I purchased a used X-20 when the video card in my old one stopped
working.  The one I purchased was only $180 and setup was as easy as
moving the hard drive over - but the seller neglected to tell me that
the network card was non-functional.  Fortunately, I could move the
network card from my old X-20 in only 15 minutes so I recovered from
that one easily.

I like and recommend thinkpads - used or otherwise.  My X-20 is close to
6 years old (600 MHz PIII with 368 MB RAM max) but runs 24x7 running a
telephony app without complaint.

Eric

Floyd Johnson wrote:
> Dear PLUGgers,
>
> My Latitude CPx went THPTH! (not to be confused with thttpd) recently,
> and I am puzzling over getting a rig on eBay.
>
> Are used ThinkPads, in your experience, laptops that will overall hold
> up for more than three years? If not, what's generally the best
> second-hand make and model?

#  Eric Lucas
#