Christopher M. Jones on 2 Sep 2008 13:29:37 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Mysql versioning

Shameel Arafin wrote:
> We use 'migration scripts' at work, to track database schema changes. So,
> let's say I add a table to the db. That table was created with some sort of
> "CREATE..." statement. That statement goes into a file, and that file is
> tracked in SVN. Then, when a push is made to the production server/database,
> the migration script gets run on the production db.
>
> We also periodically do a dump of the entire db, but most changes are
> tracked on an incremental, migration-basis.

My problem is that versioning the schema isn't enough, since what the
database holds is some important configuration data that directly
relates to how the application function, and not just what it displays.
What I want to sandbox are those configuration changes. So I want to
version some of the data, as well as the schema.

I was looking at various ways of doing incremental dumps into an svn
repo. I was also looking at ways of recording queries, as you describe,
to run on the production db.

All great suggestions. I think I'm just going to have to do some
experimentaton to find what works best for our deployment.