Eric on 1 Sep 2008 14:11:16 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Mysql versioning

I think of "version" as referring to the schema of the database and
"backup" as storing dumps of the data.

My preference is to have a table of application parameters that has the
"version" of the current schema stored as a row.  If you're using a
source control system then store the DDL file or files that create the
database in it.  The DDL for the application parameters table would
insert one row containing the version number.

HTH

Eric

Christopher M. Jones wrote:
> Brian Stempin wrote:
>
>> I've never had to do this, but the first thing that came to my mind was
>> using SVN/CVS/whatever to check in a MySQL dump.
>>
>> Of course, this is only practical for fairly small data sets.

> Yea, I've been grepping google for a while today, and that's the
> solution everyone points to. I don't think I'm going to have a huge
> database, but the problem is that the site is highly dynamic. Users have
> access to the live site and are constantly adding / changing content.
> Meanwhile, I'm making template and configuration changes. And I'm only
> one of a couple of develpers on the site. I need a way to keep
> everything synced up, and I want something that works like svn. I think
> I'm not going to find it.

#  Eric Lucas
#