JP Vossen on 3 Sep 2008 12:38:52 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Windows version of the Key ring

> Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 14:21:18 -0400
> From: "Mark Baker" <mark.baker@hxti.com>

> Does anyone know of a good, maybe open source, application that acts the
> like Ubuntu Key ring for windows?  I have seen a few come through on ads and
> other materials like that, but nothing that I felt was from a trusted
> source.

I highly recommend:
	http://passwordsafe.sourceforge.net/

It was originally written by Bruce Schneier around 1998 or so and was
free, then it was been open sourced in 2002.  I don't really use the
Ubuntu Key ring, so I'm not sure if it's the same, but I've been using
it for perhaps 8 years now and couldn't live without it.

I have a lot invested in it and have not been able to find anything
Linux native that works with the v3 file format, but it runs quite well
in Wine, so I just do that.  The CTRL-T "auto-type" feature seems to not
work in Wine under Ubuntu Hardy, otherwise it's fine AFAICT.

While I believe there is an installer, you don't need it, you can just
unzip drop the file into place.  I love that kind of Windows app, as it
makes updates and back-out plans really easy.  It also won't mess with
any system DLLs or anything like that.  And the developers (not Bruce
since 2002 or before) are quite responsive to feature requests and feedback.

Disclaimer: I do work for Bruce, but started using Passwordsafe after he
stopped being involved with it.  Basically I'm writing this as a very
happy user.

Good luck,
JP

PS--Note: "passwordsafe.com" is NOT the same thing:
http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2008/05/the_doghouse_pa.html