David A. Harding on 14 Sep 2008 15:07:31 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Want Video Card Recommendation

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 05:21:11PM -0400, Matthew Rosewarne wrote:
> On Sunday 14 September 2008, David A. Harding wrote:
> > A free software driver destroys the argument for keeping code
> > secret.
>
> If NVidia still makes the sale without having to do anything
> themselves, what incentive does it give them to cooperate[?]

None.  The free driver destroys the argument against freedom; the other
tactics, including your boycott, provide the incentive.

			    * * *

> [...]

The relative efficacy of various persuasion tactics is endlessly
debatable. I only sought to prove the following point:

    On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 07:47:06AM -0400, David A. Harding wrote:
    > On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 06:47:51PM -0400, Matthew Rosewarne wrote:
    > > [T]he purchase of one card [over another] is hardly going to
    > > change the fortunes of either company, [but] it's the only real
    > > way you can have any effect [sic] on their behaviour.
    >
    > There are many other effective ways to affect NVidia's behavior.

I think I've succeeded.

Thanks,

-Dave

P.S. I'd appreciate it if you set your email client's text wrap margin
     to 78 characters or less so I can quote you in a terminal without
     re-flowing your text. (Your current wrap margin appears to be 80
     characters; see the following 79-character line quoted verbatim
     at 81 characters.)

--
David A. Harding	    Website:  http://dtrt.org/
1 (609) 997-0765	      Email:  dave@dtrt.org