JP Vossen on 15 Sep 2008 22:05:58 -0700

[PLUG] Tom Tom One "tracker" and OpenStreetMap.org

During the very interesting OpenStreetMap.org PLUG W preso by Richard
Weait, we wondered if the Tom Tom ONE unit was capable of enabling the
"tracker" functionality needed to map streets.  It seems like the answer
is yes, at least for some units.

It looks like it requires the addition of a terminal, and--wait for
it--BASIC!  (aaarrrrgggghhhhh)

http://opentom.org/TTconsole
[...]
With a virtual Keyboard, you can enter shell commands. (To activate the
virtual keyboard, you have to touch the upper right corner of the
screen.) Is is recommended to use a pen instead of your fingers.
[...]
Unpack the binary package (zip file) and move the contents to your
tomtom Directory (e.g. /media/INTERNAL) just as they are. Thats it. It
is not necessary to rebuild the systems kernel. You do not need
opentomlinux! You can use the device with navigation software as before.
The icon for TTconsole should appear in the setting menu.

[...] [ >>> Emphasis mine <<< ]
TTTracklog: This is a very simple tool, which logs the nmea data, which
directly is emmitted from the gps-receiver to files on the sdcard. It
uses very less system resources and is supposed to run completely in the
background. At the moment, the only way to run it is from the TTconsole.
But it can be put in the background, so it persists even when the
TTconsole is closed and the TomTom is been used in normal navigation
mode. >>>>>>>The log-files finally can be converted to .gpx data files,
which then can be used in many gps data and tracklog processing
applications. I upload mine to openstreetmap.org.<<<<<<< It appears that
the TomTom-GPS data is surprisingly accurate (at least compared to a
GARMIN ETREX VENTURE).
[...]

See also:
	http://opentom.org/X11-Basic
	http://opentom.org/Tracklog

Thanks to Bahaskar for the http://opentom.org/ pointer.

I don't know when I'll have a chance to try this, but it does sound
interesting.  I really like the part about not having to recompile
anything and just adding stuff to a memory card.

Later,
JP