bergman on 21 Sep 2008 15:50:28 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Debugging looping reboots

In the message dated: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 11:06:06 EDT,
The pithy ruminations from "Michael Bevilacqua" on
<Re: [PLUG] Debugging looping reboots> were:

=>
=> On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 12:42 PM, K.S. Bhaskar <bhaskar@bhaskars.com> wrote:
=>
=> > My son disregarded my advice (he's at that age when dads don't know
=> > much) and bought a new high end laptop (Extreme Notebooks Raptor 560x;
=> > I advised him to go with System76).  The hardware is so leading edge
=> > that the only Linuxes I have been able to get to recognize all the
=> > hardware are Fedora Core 9 & 10 and Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex.  The catch
=> > now is that I can't get it to run 64-bit Linux (32-bits runs fine).
=>
=>
=> 64-bit Linux isn't where it should be at this point, although it is

Huh?

=> progressing. You are going to have trouble running a lot of commonly used
                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Huh?

=> applications down the road if/when you do get the system installed. Even
=> with 32-bit compatability mode.

What?

I've been running 64-bit Linux (FC7) on my personal machine and on ~45 work
servers (RHEL4, CentOS 4, CentOS 5.2). The only problems related to 64-bit apps
that I've had were with Firefox plugins, but those have largely disappeared in
the last few months.

=>
=> This is why I run Gentoo (32-bit native) on my HP Pavilion dv6000 laptop.
=> It's an AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 TL-56 dual core. The hardware support with
=> Debian, Ubuntu and the like in my experiences is inadequate unless you are

I don't have experience with Debian, Ubuntu and "the like", but my T61p has
full hardware support under FC 7 64-bit Linux. There are no problems with the
Nvidia graphics, Wifi, sound, or other hardware systems releated to 64-bit apps.
My experience with CentOS 5.2 is even more positive in terms of stability and
compatibility.

=> willing to run unstable and compile stuff yourself. I find, in that case,
=> you might as well get yourself prepared to compile what you need in the
=> simplest fashion available (portage) and use kernels that are much more up
=> to date than that available with the previously mentioned distros.
=>

=> Good luck.
=>
=>
=>
=> --
=> Michael D. Bevilacqua
=> michael@bevilacqua.us
=>

-----
Mark Bergman    Biker, Rock Climber, Unix mechanic, IATSE #1 Stagehand

http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=bergman%40merctech.com

I want a newsgroup with a infinite S/N ratio! Now taking CFV on:
rec.motorcycles.stagehands.pet-bird-owners.pinballers.unix-supporters
15+ So Far--Want to join? Check out: http://www.panix.com/~bergman