Art Alexion on 23 Sep 2008 08:07:42 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Xandros hacking on eeePC

On Tuesday 23 September 2008 7:57:12 am LeRoy Cressy wrote:
>   Art Alexion wrote:
> > We are looking to buy a bunch of these as loaner laptops for employees
> > who occasionally travel.  We used to use full featured Dell Latitude
> > 630s, but the idea is saving cost, durability of the SDD, and travel
> > weight, among other things.  The potential end users were not told it
> > wasn't windows, only that it was the laptop interface.  They seemed to
> > love it.
> >
> > I like the simplicity of the Xandros UI for end users, but it seems to be
> > a pain to administer at all.
>
> Xandros is a Debian based distribution thus I would look at
> /etc/X11/default-display-manager.  If the contents in not something like
> /usr/bin/xdm then you can edit it or edit the file /etc/init.d/xdm and
> change the block as per the following instructions

Thanks.  Turns out the Xandros login is kdm, so I started poking
around /etc/X11/kdm/kdmrc.  So far no luck because the settings look right
for a pick list of users, etc.  I am going to poke around some more and see
if there is a single string that overrides all of this.

Could the setting be in another file?

Meanwhile, we installed Ubuntu eee on another (or is it eee Ubuntu?) and I
really like it except the camera isn't working (not a big deal).  I'd like to
get Xandros working reasonably as well so that real users can look at each
and choose.  They may hate the very things I like.