LeRoy Cressy on 23 Sep 2008 09:24:27 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Xandros hacking on eeePC

Art Alexion wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 September 2008 7:57:12 am LeRoy Cressy wrote:
>>   Art Alexion wrote:
>>> We are looking to buy a bunch of these as loaner laptops for employees
>>> who occasionally travel.  We used to use full featured Dell Latitude
>>> 630s, but the idea is saving cost, durability of the SDD, and travel
>>> weight, among other things.  The potential end users were not told it
>>> wasn't windows, only that it was the laptop interface.  They seemed to
>>> love it.
>>>
>>> I like the simplicity of the Xandros UI for end users, but it seems to be
>>> a pain to administer at all.
>> Xandros is a Debian based distribution thus I would look at
>> /etc/X11/default-display-manager.  If the contents in not something like
>> /usr/bin/xdm then you can edit it or edit the file /etc/init.d/xdm and
>> change the block as per the following instructions
>
> Thanks.  Turns out the Xandros login is kdm, so I started poking
> around /etc/X11/kdm/kdmrc.  So far no luck because the settings look right
> for a pick list of users, etc.  I am going to poke around some more and see
> if there is a single string that overrides all of this.
>
> Could the setting be in another file?

Have you looked at the startup script in /etc/init.d/kdm?

> Meanwhile, we installed Ubuntu eee on another (or is it eee Ubuntu?) and I
> really like it except the camera isn't working (not a big deal).  I'd like to
> get Xandros working reasonably as well so that real users can look at each
> and choose.  They may hate the very things I like.

- --
 Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy  mailto:leroy@lrcressy.com   /\_/\
                       http://lrcressy.com        ( o.o )
                       Phone:  215-535-4037        > ^ <

gpg fingerprint:  62DE 6CAB CEE1 B1B3 359A  81D8 3FEF E6DA 8501 AFEA

For info on enigmail:    http://lrcressy.com/linux/mozilla.pdf
For info on gpg:         http://www.gnupg.org/